Day Care Act (amended)
BILL NO. 23
4th Session, 61st General Assembly
61 Elizabeth II, 2012
Private Member's Bill
Day Care Act
First Reading: April 16, 2012
This Bill requires the Minister of Community Services to undertake a review of day-care quality and access throughout the Province. The review is to be completed by November 15, 2012.
Be it enacted by the Governor and Assembly as follows:
1 Chapter 120 of the Revised Statutes, 1989, the Day Care Act, is amended by adding immediately after Section 14 the following Section:
14A (1) On or before July 15, 2012, the Minister shall, subject to subsection (7), undertake a review of day-care accessibility throughout the Province.
(2) The review referred to in subsection (1) must examine
(a) the cost of regulated child care for families in relation to other provinces of Canada;
(b) the adequacy of the number of licensed day-care spaces in the Province, including spaces for infants twelve to eighteen months of age;
(c) the rates and income cut-off points for subsidized day-care spaces in relation to other provinces of Canada;
(d) data relating to wait times for licensed day-care spaces in the Province in relation to other provinces of Canada;
(e) data relating to wait times for subsidized day-care spaces in the Province in relation to other provinces of Canada; and
(f) such other matters as determined by the Minister.
(3) The review must be conducted in a manner that ensures that full participation and feedback is obtained from all regions of the Province.
(4) Stake holders including, but not limited to, parents, day-care providers and the staff of day-care facilities, shall be given an opportunity to have input into the review undertaken pursuant to this Section.
(5) The review must be completed and a report submitted to the Minister on or before November 15, 2012.
(6) The report referred to in subsection (5) must be tabled by the Minister in the House of Assembly if the House is sitting or, if the House is not sitting, the report must be filed with the Chief Clerk of the House.
(7) The moneys required for the purpose of this Section must be paid out of moneys appropriated for that purpose by the Legislature.
This page and its contents published by the Office of the Legislative Counsel, Nova Scotia House of Assembly, and © 2012 Crown in right of Nova Scotia. Created April 16, 2012. Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.