Motor Vehicle Act
BILL NO. 111
2nd Session, 61st General Assembly
59 Elizabeth II, 2010
Motor Vehicle Act
CHAPTER 63 OF THE ACTS OF 2010
The Honourable Bill Estabrooks, M.B.
Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure
First Reading: November 25, 2010 (LINK TO BILL AS INTRODUCED)
Second Reading: November 26, 2010
Third Reading: December 9, 2010
Royal Assent: December 10, 2010
Be it enacted by the Governor and Assembly as follows:
1 Chapter 293 of the Revised Statutes, 1989, the Motor Vehicle Act, is amended by adding after Section 124 the following Section:
124A (1) In this Section, "transit bus" means a transit bus of a class prescribed by the regulations.
(2) The driver of a vehicle on a highway with a speed limit of sixty kilometres per hour or less shall yield the right of way to allow a transit bus that is stopped, standing or parked at or immediately adjacent to the edge of the roadway to enter the closest lane of traffic flow adjacent to the right-hand edge of the roadway if
(a) the driver of the transit bus has signalled an intention to enter the lane of traffic;
(b) the transit bus is displaying the signage prescribed by the regulations; and
(c) yielding to the transit bus does not constitute an immediate hazard.
(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to the driver of an emergency vehicle, as defined in Section 106D, when the emergency vehicle is exhibiting a flashing light.
(4) Nothing in this Section relieves a driver of a transit bus from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons using the highway.
(5) The Minister may make regulations
(a) prescribing classes of transit buses for the purpose of this Section;
(b) prescribing standards, specifications and locations of signs or signals for the purpose of this Section;
(c) respecting any matter or thing the Minister considers necessary or advisable to carry out effectively the intent and purpose of this Section.
(6) The exercise of the Minister of the authority contained in subsection (5) is regulations within the meaning of the Regulations Act.
2 Section 293 of Chapter 293, as enacted by Chapter 10 of the Acts of 2002 and amended by Chapter 8 of the Acts of 2005, Chapter 20 of the Acts of 2007, Chapter 45 of the Acts of 2007 and Chapter 62 of the Acts of 2008, is further amended by adding ", 124A" immediately after "123" in the third line.
3 This Act comes into force on such further day as the Governor in Council orders and declares by proclamation.
This page and its contents published by the Office of the Legislative Counsel, Nova Scotia House of Assembly, and © 2010 Crown in right of Nova Scotia. Created December 21, 2010. Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.