Uranium Exploration and Mining Prohibition Act
ACTS OF 2009
NOTE - This electronic version of this
statute is provided by the Office of the Legislative Counsel for your convenience and
personal use only and may not be copied
for the purpose of resale in this or any other form. Formatting of this electronic
version may differ from the official, printed version. Where accuracy is critical, please
consult official sources.
An Act to Prohibit Uranium Exploration
and Uranium Mining in Nova Scotia
This Act may be cited as the Uranium Exploration and Mining Prohibition Act.
2009, c. 6, s. 1.
2 The purpose of this Act is to prohibit exploration for or mining of uranium in order to protect the health and safety of Nova Scotians and the quality of their environment.
2009, c. 6, s. 2.
3 (1) In this Act, "exploration" means the search for uranium orebodies by any means.
(2) Unless the context indicates otherwise, words and expressions in this Act have the same meaning as in the Mineral Resources Act.
2009, c. 6, s. 3.
4 Where there is a conflict or inconsistency between this Act or the regulations and any other enactment, this Act and the regulations prevail.
2009, c. 6, s. 4.
5 (1) No person shall carry out exploration for or conduct mining of uranium.
(2) No exploration or special licence or mineral or special lease granted under the Mineral Resources Act, whether issued before or after the coming into force of this Act, authorizes the holder of the licence or lease to carry out exploration for or mining of uranium.
(3) A person who carries out mining of uranium in the course of mining for some other mineral is not guilty of an offence under this Section if
(a) the uranium content of the total amount of material then removed from the land being mined does not exceed 0.01 per cent by weight; and
(b) the person complies with all conditions prescribed by the regulations for the mining, treatment, handling and disposal of material containing uranium.
(4) Nothing in this Section prevents a person from using radiometric or other means for exploring for a mineral other than uranium.
2009, c. 6, s. 5.
6 (1) A person who contravenes this Act or the regulations is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine of not more than two thousand dollars.
(2) Where an offence under this Act is committed or continued on more than one day, the person who committed the offence is liable to be convicted for a separate offence for each day on which the offence is committed.
2009, c. 6, s. 6.
7 (1) The Governor in Council may make regulations respecting any matter the Governor in Council considers necessary or advisable to carry out effectively the intent and purpose of this Act.
(2) The exercise by the Governor in Council of the authority contained in subsection (1) is regulations within the meaning of the Regulations Act.
2009, c. 6, s. 7.
This page and its contents published by the Office of the Legislative
Counsel, Nova Scotia House of Assembly, and © 2010 Crown in right of Nova Scotia.
Created March 3, 2010. Send comments to