BILL NO. 143
1st Session, 60th General Assembly
56 Elizabeth II, 2007
Private Member's Bill
Income Tax Act
Halifax Clayton Park
First Reading: March 20, 2007
This Bill provides a tax deduction for the purchase or lease of a fuel-efficient vehicle.
An Act to Amend Chapter 217
Be it enacted by the Governor and Assembly as follows:
of the Revised Statutes, 1989,
the Income Tax Act,
Respecting Fuel-efficient Vehicles
1 Chapter 217 of the Revised Statutes, 1989, the Income Tax Act, is amended by adding immediately after Section 38 the following heading and Section:
Subdivision ka - Fuel-efficient Vehicle Tax Credit
38A (1) This Section applies to vehicles of a class prescribed by the Governor in Council.
(2) Subject to subsections (5) and (6), where in a taxation year a taxpayer purchases, or leases for two years or more, a new or used vehicle exceeding $12,000 in value, the taxpayer may deduct from tax otherwise payable by the taxpayer under this Act for the taxation year
(a) $1,000 if the vehicle has a fuel-efficiency rating of 8 litres or less per 100 kilometres of city driving; or
(b) $2,000 if the vehicle has a fuel-efficiency rating of 5 litres or less per 100 kilometres of city driving.
(3) In subsection (2), the fuel-efficiency rating is the fuel-efficiency rating determined by the Office of Energy Efficiency of Natural Resources Canada.
(4) To claim a deduction under subsection (2), a taxpayer shall provide the Minister of Finance with proof of purchase of a qualifying vehicle.
(5) A deduction pursuant to this Section may only be claimed once in any four-year period.
(6) The moneys required for the purpose of this Section must be paid out of moneys appropriated for that purpose by the Legislature and, for greater certainty, no deduction may be made pursuant to this Section until the moneys are appropriated by the Legislature.
This page and its contents published by the Office of the Legislative
Counsel, Nova Scotia House of Assembly, and © 2007 Crown in right of Nova Scotia.
Created March 21, 2007. Send comments to