1st Session, 60th General Assembly
55 Elizabeth II, 2006
First Reading: July 5, 2006
Second Reading: July 7, 2006
Third Reading: July 14, 2006 (LINK TO BILL AS PASSED)
Be it enacted by the Governor and Assembly as follows:
1 This Act may be cited as the Maritime Conservatory Reorganization Act.
2 In this Act,
(a) "Conservatory" means the corporation incorporated as "The Halifax Conservatory of Music" by Chapter 117 of the Acts of 1952, An Act to Incorporate The Halifax Conservatory of Music and to Amend Chapter 167 of the Acts of 1921, An Act to Incorporate the Governors of The Halifax Ladies' College and Conservatory of Music, renamed in 1955 as "The Maritime Conservatory of Music" pursuant to the former Companies Change of Name Act and continued as the "Maritime Conservatory of Performing Arts" by Chapter 117 as amended by this Act;
(b) "Society" means the Maritime Conservatory of Performing Arts Society incorporated pursuant to the Societies Act.
3 (1) All the property, assets and undertaking of the Society are vested in the Conservatory.
(2) All the liabilities and obligations of the Society are the liabilities and obligations of the Conservatory.
4 The members of the Board of Directors of the Society immediately before the coming into force of this Act constitute the Board of Governors of the Conservatory until their successors as members of the Board of Governors are chosen pursuant to the by-laws of the Conservatory.
5 (1) All amendments to the by-laws of the Society are ratified and confirmed and anything done in accordance with the laws and by-laws respecting the Conservatory are as valid and effectual as if it had been done in accordance with the laws and by-laws of the Society.
(2) This Section does not affect the rights acquired by any person from a judgment or order of a court given or made in litigation or proceedings commenced before the coming into force of this Act.
6 (1) The Society is dissolved.
(2) A reference in any enactment or document to the Society shall, as regards any subsequent matter, transaction or thing, be held and construed to be a reference to the Conservatory.
7 Sections 5 and 6 of Chapter 117 are repealed and the following Sections substituted:
(3) A reference in any enactment or document to "The Halifax Conservatory of Music" or "The Maritime Conservatory of Music" shall, as regards any subsequent matter, transaction or thing, be held and construed to be a reference to the "Maritime Conservatory of Performing Arts".
(4) No rights, duties, obligations or liabilities of the Conservatory as constituted in 1952 by this Act or as renamed in 1955 pursuant to the former Companies Change of Name Act are in any way affected by the change of name made by this Section and those rights, duties and obligations continue to be vested in and are binding upon it under the name "Maritime Conservatory of Performing Arts".
6 The objects of the Conservatory are to provide a comprehensive system of music and dance instruction to students of all ages and levels of ability and equality of education designed to inspire a life-long interest in the arts, whether for personal enjoyment or a professional career.