BILL NO. 85
1st Session, 63rd General Assembly
67 Elizabeth II, 2018
Municipal Government Act
CHAPTER 16 OF THE ACTS OF 2018
The Honourable Derek Mombourquette
Minister of Municipal Affairs
First Reading: March 8, 2018 (LINK TO BILL AS INTRODUCED)
Second Reading: March 22, 2018
Third Reading: March 29, 2018
Royal Assent: April 18, 2018
An Act to Amend Chapter 18
of the Acts of 1998,
the Municipal Government Act,
Respecting Cape Breton Regional Municipality
1 Chapter 18 of the Acts of 1998, the Municipal Government Act, is amended by adding immediately after Section 51A the following Section:
- 51B (1) In this Section, “eligible municipal property” has the meaning prescribed by the regulations.
(3) A resolution to sell or lease eligible municipal property at less than market value must be passed by at least a two-thirds majority of the council of Cape Breton Regional Municipality present and voting.
(4) Where the council of Cape Breton Regional Municipality proposes to sell or lease eligible municipal property valued at more than ten thousand dollars at less than market value, the council shall first hold a public hearing respecting the sale or lease.
(5) The council of Cape Breton Regional Municipality shall advertise the public hearing on the Municipality’s publicly-accessible Internet site and shall post the advertisement at least fourteen days before the hearing.
2 Chapter 18 is further amended by adding immediately after Section 71B the following Section:
- 71BA (1) In this Section, “eligible industrial property” has the meaning prescribed by the regulations.
(2) Notwithstanding any enactment, where the council of Cape Breton Regional Municipality considers it necessary or advisable, the Municipality may enter into a taxation agreement with the owner of an eligible industrial property respecting the taxes payable to the Municipality by the owner.
(3) Notwithstanding any enactment, where there is a taxation agreement pursuant to this Section, the owner shall pay taxes with respect to the eligible industrial property in accordance with the agreement instead of the taxes otherwise payable pursuant to this Act.
This page and its contents published by the Office of the Legislative Counsel, Nova Scotia House of Assembly, and © 2018 Crown in right of Nova Scotia. Created April 17, 2018. Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.