Education Act (amended)
BILL NO. 47
(as passed, with amendments)
2nd Session, 61st General Assembly
59 Elizabeth II, 2010
CHAPTER 13 OF THE ACTS OF 2010
The Honourable Marilyn More
Minister of Education
First Reading: April 27, 2010 (LINK TO BILL AS INTRODUCED)
Second Reading: April 29, 2010
Third Reading: May 4, 2010 (WITH COMMITTEE AMENDMENTS)
Royal Assent: May 11, 2010
Be it enacted by the Governor and Assembly as follows:
1 Sections 89 and 89A of Chapter 1 of the Acts of 1995-96, the Education Act, are repealed and the following Section substituted:
89 (1) Subject to Section 90, a school board may not permanently close a public school except in accordance with the school review process outlined in this Section and the regulations.
(2) A school board shall identify a public school for review in accordance with the regulations.
(3) Upon identifying a public school for review, the school board shall prepare and make available to the public a report in accordance with the regulations.
(4) After the report has been made public, the school board shall, in accordance with the regulations, establish a study committee to review and respond to the report.
(5) Following its receipt of a response from the study committee, the school board shall
(a) make public the study committee response; and
(b) hold a public hearing which shall include public consultations;
in accordance with the regulations.
(6) Following its compliance with the procedure outlined in this Section, the school board may permanently close a public school.
2 Subsection 145(1) of Chapter 1, as amended by Chapter 5 of the Acts of 2002, Chapter 15 of the Acts of 2007, and Chapter 54 of the Acts of 2008, is further amended by
(a) striking out "89A" in the second line of clause (o) and substituting "89"; and
(b) adding immediately after clause (o) the following clause:
(oa) respecting exceptions to the requirements for the review of public schools to be considered for permanent closing;
This page and its contents published by the Office of the Legislative Counsel, Nova Scotia House of Assembly, and © 2010 Crown in right of Nova Scotia. Created May 21, 2010. Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.