BILL NO. 113
1st Session, 63rd General Assembly
67 Elizabeth II, 2018
Private Member's Bill
Pits and Quarries Environmental Assessment Review Act
Truro–Bible Hill–Millbrook–Salmon River
First Reading: April 4, 2018
Be it enacted by the Governor and Assembly as follows:
1 This Act may be cited as the Pits and Quarries Environmental Assessment Review Act.
2 (1) The Minister of Environment shall commence a review of the permitting and environmental assessment process for pits and quarries on or before September 1, 2018.
(2) Not later than June 1, 2019, the Minister shall publish a report advising, based on the review, what changes to the permitting and environmental assessment process for pits and quarries are necessary or advisable.
(3) The review must be conducted by a review panel composed of
(a) one member knowledgeable of the aggregate industry;
(b) one member knowledgeable of the process of environmental assessment; and
(c) one other member, who is the chair of the review panel.
(4) The members of the review panel are appointed by the Minister and serve for such term and, subject to Section 3, receive such remuneration and compensation as may be determined by the Minister.
(5) Meetings of the review panel must be accessible to the public.
(6) Subject to Section 3, in conducting the review, the review panel shall hold public hearings and online consultations.
(7) The review panel shall consider
(a) the need for aggregate in construction;
(b) the permitting and environmental assessment processes of other jurisdictions;
(c) whether to treat differently undertakings that extract aggregate purely for on-site use;
(d) whether to treat differently undertakings that extract aggregate purely for the use of the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal;
(e) whether the size of the pit or quarry should be relevant to the permitting and environmental assessment process;
(f) the role of local governments in the permitting and environmental assessment process; and
(g) any other matter relevant to the review.
3 The money required for the purpose of this Act must be paid out of money appropriated for that purpose by the Legislature.
This page and its contents published by the Office of the Legislative Counsel, Nova Scotia House of Assembly, and © 2018 Crown in right of Nova Scotia.
Created April 4, 2018. Send comments to email@example.com.